Guinea pigs are adorable fuzzy creatures of the rodent family. They are domestic pets, which are not so hard to take care of, they have a lifespan of 8 years, which if you think about it, it isn’t so bad. These creatures are meant for the care of children as they don’t require much work. Plus they are affectionate pets, they will tend to show love more that any other small animals. They ten to jump when they are happy, for this they require room. As guinea pigs are not kept so they can stroll freely across they house, they require sufficient habitat spaces. They are kept in cages which requires quite a lot of detail to make sure they are comfortable. So it is necessary to know information about guinea pig cages before you buy it.
What to know before buying or making a cage
You’re thinking of buying a guinea pig, and when buying a guinea pig you also have to buy a cage, or else where are you going to keep him or her. You can’t just let them run around the house, it is too dangerous. So you must buy a cage, but not just any cage, it has to make sure that it satisfies the full needs of your fuzzy friend.
So here are a few things to consider when buying a cage;
- Adequate spacing- You should always be aware of the size of the cage because as the guinea pig grows, you can’t juts let them stay in there all tight and coffined in. So make sure that it has enough floor spacing, and maybe even a couple of floors, if you consider buying more than one.
- A hiding place- Guinea pigs are normally shy creatures and tend to hide is someone, or something spooks them, so it is important to have small nooks and crannies they can hide in.
- What the cage is made out of- It is important that the materials are well structured, and safe for your pet. The materials need to be strong enough so that it can withhold the chewing these animals do, and the floor should be plastic or something solid so that they don’t get their tiny paws stuck.
- All the things that a guinea pig needs inside its home- They require food bowls and bottles, they should have easy access to it. Plus they also need proper bedding. It can be either wood shavings, ripped paper, or fleece (like a small dog bed). They also require ramps if there a high elevated places inside the cage, as they have small feet, with a chubby body it makes it difficult for them to jump. So installing ramps would be a good idea.
Where to buy the best cages from
As these furry little friends require tons of room to run and play it is necessary to get the best cage suited for them. There are over a hundred places you can get these cages, they aren’t such a hard task. You can buy these cages from any pet store, they’ve got tons of selections available, which will make sure that you get the best cage possible. Plus you can even order them online through pet sites, or just normal shopping websites, like amazon, or eBay. As there are plenty of places it doesn’t require much of your time when looking for one.
Some of the best guinea pig cages you can buy are online, there are various types of cages like the;
- Living World Deluxe Habitat.
-This cage comes in various sizes, it is portable, and has easy access for your guinea pig. It is made out of heavy-duty metal, and plastic. And with a high barrier around the cage it secludes the pet, and makes sure that they have enough room, as to why the water is placed on the outside. This cage can be bought on Amazon.
- ToysOply Premium Pet Playpen
- This cage is more a casual approach, it is usually met for taking your pet on the go, as to why it is easily attachable and collapsible. It is made out of fabric which is scratch, and chew resistance, plus it is waterproof as well. This cage is inexpensive, and is convenient and portable.
However, it is not necessary to buy a cage online, or in-store, because you can just create it yourself. It is fairly simple to make them, it can be made out of wood, or cardboard, PVC pipes, and even an old dresser, yes that’s right, an old dresser. Making your own cage is inexpensive if you want it to be. They can be made out of household furniture, which won’t cost you a dime.
There are cages which you can choose to spend more by adding high quality lumber for framings, and high quality steel, or some sort of netting, and you can also make it with easier access, so it can be cleaned properly. The best thing about making your cage yourself is that you are able to design it however you want, with whatever you want. You are able to provide the best care available to your pet just they way they want it.
What will this cost me?
Now buying, a guinea pig isn’t that expensive, and adopting one will not cost you so much, or nothing at all. This is good because you are saving your money which can be spent on the more expensive items.
When buying cages online or in-store can be fairly expensive, this is because of the materials that it is made out of. These cages can range from above $40 to sometimes over $100. It is rarely possible to find a cage that will be below $40, but if it is, it is most likely a used one on sale. But spending this much shouldn’t be a problem as it will only be bought once, and it’s for your loving pet, who you would do anything for.
However if you are making your cage, then it is possible to make it under $20 if all the materials are there. It just requires you labour. But making them can sometimes be even more expensive than buying a cage itself, as the materials could cost more and the time taken to complete it.
Although whether the cage is expensive or not, it will almost cost the same for all the other items a guinea pig needs. So in conclusion the best cages can be anything, but the best cages are the ones that your pets love. It won’t matter if it feels, and looks good or you, it needs to just right for your pet.